1. Max from Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
2. The whole gang from The Magic School Bus by Joanna Cole and Bruce Degen. A large group of kids in my high school got together and dressed up as Miss Frizzle, Liz, Dorothy Ann, Phoebe, Carlos, Arnold, Keesha, Ralphie, Tim, Wanda and the Bus.
3. Madeline from The Madeline Books by John Bemelmans Marciano
4. The Paper Bag Princess and the dragon from The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch.
5. The Cat, Thing 1 and Thing 2 from The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
6. Amelia Bedelia from the Amelia Bedilia books by Peggy Parish and Herman Parish
7. Willy Wonka and the Oompa Loompas from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl, the twits from The Twits and a witch from The Witches.
8. Pippi from the Pippi Longstocking books by Astrid Lindgren. I had a friend who did this by braiding their hair around copper wire, to make it stand out.
9. Alice, the Queen of Hearts, The Mad Hatter and The March Hare from Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. If you’re really into it, you could be Alice when she’s stuck in the house and make a house out of a cardboard box.
10. Aslan or Mr. Tummus from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis.
11. Anne from Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
12. Mary Poppins from Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers
13. Peter Pan from Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
14. Dorothy, The Tin Woodman, The Scarecrow and The Lion from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
15. Various characters from Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling. If you’re depressed that you’ll never be able to dress up for another movie/book release, then there’s always Halloween. There are so many characters to choose from; the possibilities are endless. From the trio, Snape, Luna, Voldemort, Moaning Myrtle, Hedwig and The Fat Lady, you could be anyone
16. The Fellowship from The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
17. Katniss from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I wouldn’t set yourself on fire, though.
18. Ramona Flowers from Scott Pilgrim’s Precious Little Life by Bryan Lee O’Malley. I was Ramona last year.
19. A Greaser from The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton.
20. Georgia’s stuffed olive costume from Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison. This is only mentioned in the book, but it’s so brilliant that I’m putting it on the list anyways.
21. Holden Caulfield from The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. Wear a red hunting cap and carry a baseball glove.