Sunday 25 September 2011

In My Mailbox (6)

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren, in which book bloggers post about the books they've bought, borrowed or received in the past week.


This week I borrowed Wildwood by Colin Meloy from the library. I wanted to read this book because it looked so pretty and the author, Colin Meloy, is the lead singer of the Decemberists. The book is illustrated by his wife, Carson Ellis, who also illustrated The Mysterious Benedict Society. I read it earlier this week and I honestly think it's the prettiest book I have ever read. The book itself was all right, but I now want to read everything illustrated by Carson Ellis.
I also picked up Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead from the library earlier today. I was there a few minutes before opening and there were over 50 people waiting to get in. This book was recommended to me on my blog, and I'm not posting a picture of it because the cover is very beat up. 


I know that when normal people want a used book they just go to a used book shop. I always check my basement first, since you never know what you will find down there. My Mom majored in English in University, and there are a lot of old paper backs around the house. Although she has trouble getting rid of things, my Mom is nice and usually lets me have whatever book I ask for if it's not on one of her main bookshelves. I happened to be looking for Frankenstein by Mary Shelley and found it pretty quickly. I think I'm going to read this around Halloween. 

7 comments:

  1. I've been seeing Wildwood around a lot of blogs lately. I don't know a lot about it, but it does have the type of cover that just draws me in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I've seen Wildwood at my library recently. Now I want to pick it up as well - I didn't connect the name of the author with the Decemberists! And I know what you mean about just looking in the basement. My mom and dad were both history majors and inveterate sci fi readers so there were always boxes and boxes of old paperbacks in the storage room. It's like digging for treasure!

    My IMM is over here if you'd like to stop by. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool that you can just browse your parents basement for books!

    Wildwood and Vampire Academy are both excellent in such different ways. I hope you love them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wildwood is high up on my to-read list, but since I don't want to pay $60 in order to borrow books fro my library, I have to wait to buy it. Tough luck for me since I don't have any money I can spare.

    I'll read it one day, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hii Frankenstein! Oldie but goodie!!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads
    Wanna snag some ARCs? Don't forget to check out my giveaways. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Frankenstein! Such a wonderful Halloween read! Hope you enjoy all your books!


    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wildwood looks like such a pretty book. I'll have to see if my library has it. I LOVE The Mysterious Benedict Society covers.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...