Saturday 27 August 2011

River Song's Diary


I'm a big fan of Doctor Who, and I find that I don't get to blog about it enough since it's not exactly  book related. I was really excited to find this on the BBC Doctor Who site. I've wanted to make my own River Song diary for a while, and this made it very easy!


I printed out the picture given. I actually ended up using much bigger paper than pictured here. 


I brought the printout with me to Dollarama and tried to find a book that would fit. I found an abridged copy of Pride and Prejudice for $1 that was about the same size (it was a bit too small, but that's okay.)


The instructions tell you to tape on the dust jacket, but my Dad is very clever and folded it like so, so that you can slide the front and back covers into each flap. When my Dad was in school, you had to cover your text books with dust jackets, so he knew how to do that. If you have no idea how, you can just tape it like the instructions say. 


I probably could have stopped there, but instead I took off the dust jacket and made some tea in a bowl. Then I dipped the pages (not the cover) into the tea, so that it would look older like River's. 


After that, I left my book out to dry. I didn't want to let it get too big, so I put a stapler on top of it. After it dried (which took a long time) I put the dust jacket back on. 




So there you go, just in time for the new episode today! I'd like to point out that it actually looks better in real life than in the photos. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow! The end result looks pretty good :D I don't watch Dr. Who AT ALL so I have no idea what it is/for but it looks awesome anyway xD Crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for something like this too... only one I could actually write in {I'm an avid journaler}. Did you know you can find them on Etsy? Plus, I don't know if you have a Kindle, but you can actually get a TARDIS cover that resembles her journal as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I hadn't seen this idea from the BBC before. I like how you dipped it in tea too. Nice prop. After reading your blog I googled for the PDF and printed a couple to wrap the paperbacks I carry around in my purse.
    I was feeling a little crummy before I saw the pic of Riversong's Journal and the sonic screwdriver (is that a pen? where did you find it!)randomly in an image search I was doing for something completely unrelated. It brightened up my day, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...