Wednesday 27 July 2011

Novel Appropriate Snacks?


I bought this lovely copy of The Chronicles of Narnia a month or so ago and I wanted to take a picture for my tumblr, to show off my new copy. Anyways, I ran to the Bulk Barn and bought some inexpensive Turkish Delight for the photo (and to eat). It got me thinking about other snacks and drinks that could be good companions to certain children's books. 
  • Treacle tart, butterbeer and Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling. The list of food in Harry Potter is never ending, but these two stand out for me. I made butterbeer for the little party my friends and I had before we saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 and it was a minor success. I thought it was delicious, but it was too sweet for everyone else. When I was younger, you could get a lot of the candy from the books at our grocery store, but I haven't seen any in ages. 
  • Onions, canned peaches and Holes by Louis Sachar. Maybe skip the onions, actually.
  • Pancakes and Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren. Although, you don't have to make them exactly like Pippi would.
  • Wonka candy and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl. I love runts, nerds and chewy gobstoppers. 
  • Salmon and The Ersatz Elevator by Lemony Snicket. If you want to go all out and be just like Café Salmonella, you can make salmon ice cubes, salmon ravioli, salmon pie and salmon ice cream. That might be overkill, though. 
  • Tea and Alice and Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. Extra points if you drink from a pretty tea cup.
  • Marmelade sandwiches and A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond. To be honest, marmalade is the main thing I remember from these books. 
  • Raspberry cordial and Anne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryTo my Dad's disbelief, they actually sell this at Green Gables in Cavendish, PEI. It's delicious and it came in a nice bottle (which is still in my closet.) Skip the current wine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...